Monday, March 31, 2008

It's a fuzzy, fuzzy world

Could you still do your job if you couldn't see?
I had to ask myself this question this morning when I decided to go back to work today after having PRK surgery last Thursday. Friday I was nearly blind, Saturday I could see enough to figure out which toothbrush was mine, and Sunday I could finally open the window blinds and let some sunlight in.
I took a cautious peek at the newspaper this morning- I could read again!!! The words had to be within 12 inches of my face, but it was progress! I went to work.
The first thing I did was turn on all the low vision accessibility options on my computer- high contract fonts, the Windows Magnifier, increased text sizes in browsers, and anything else I could think of. I then had to prioritize what absolutely had to get done and what could wait, since I knew I only had a few good hours of eyesight today before my eyes are exhausted. Apparently, posting to the STC Montana blog made the list. I know my eyes will get better, slowly, but in the meantime I am gaining a whole new appreciation for web usability guidelines.

Switching gears here…but I haven’t heard a peep from anyone about helping with elections. How about helping out your nearly blind president and volunteering to set up a simple Survey Monkey election?

1 comment:

John Ramirez said...

Dear Fuzzy Eyes:
I hope your recovery speeds along! We still need you to lead us all the way to the May banquet.